The Educator/Nanny of the Year Award is presented to an outstanding educator or nanny who consistently provides a high standard of professional practice in delivering home-based early childhood education.
This year the service of a nominee will nominate their candidate with an (attached) endorsement from the parents of the child/ren in the care of their nominee. Please also enclose examples of how the educator/nanny meets the following criteria. Choose 4 points from each of categories 1 and 2 to respond to (8 in total). Please also include a learning/profile story from your nominee/s (if possible). "The Flyer and Nomination Form will be available shortly!"
The following aspects are to be considered by the judges:
1. Educators/nannies who maintain professional relationships and values which will include the following:
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with clear professional boundaries that promote and ensure the holistic well-being of: themselves; families/whānau; and children
- Working effectively within their service as part of a co-operative team
- Working in partnership with families and whānau
- Demonstrating a commitment to the bicultural partnership in Aotearoa New Zealand through learning about and respecting the language, customs and heritage of Māori children and their families and whānau
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning about and reflecting the language and culture of all families and whānau
- Demonstrating a commitment to their own ongoing professional learning and development through relevant professional development, developing goals for continuous improvement in their practice
2. The educator/nanny demonstrates professional knowledge in practice which will include the following
- Sound knowledge and implementation of Te Whāriki with the principles clearly reflected in practice
- A collaborative, inclusive and supportive environment that promotes ongoing learning within the home and community
- Practice and promotion of te reo Māori and bicultural practices
- Recognition, promotion and provision of equitable practices that reflects cultural diversity
- A curriculum that is assessment-informed and caters for diverse interests, skills, “funds of knowledge” and learning styles
- Valuings, accessing and using the voices of family and whānau and children within informal and formal assessment
- Using assessment information to set ongoing learning goals with children and with their family and whānau that challenge and extend their worlds
- Planning for teaching for learning within experiences in the home and community
- Articulating learning to children, families and whānau
- Reflective practice that informs and enhances their role in children’s learning
Information in your nomination.
Name of the service making the nomination and their contact details:
Which area are they from?
Current member number:
Contact email and phone number for the educator/nanny:
Guidelines for nominating a member for the Educator/Nanny of the Year Award:
The nominee must be a current member of the New Zealand Home-based Early Childhood Education Association and must be working as an educator or nanny with a Ministry of Education licenced home–based early childhood education provider.
Endorsement from the parents of the child/ren in the care of the educator/nanny nominee to include:
An endorsement describing why you think your educator or nanny is Educator/Nanny of the Year. This may include the relationship they have with you and your child and how they support you as a family.
The winner of the award will receive a $1000.00 prize and the runner up will receive a $250.00 prize from our sponsor. Winners will be announced at the New Zealand Home-based Early Childhood Education Association Conference in Wellington.
The information flier for the nominations will be sent in July to service providers with the nomination form. Nominations are to be made by the service provider and endorsed by parents. Nominations are to be in a word document with supporting endorsement/documents attached. Nominations are NOT to have a service logo included as the nominations will be sent to the Judges anonymously. Nominations are to be received by the Association via email to our Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org before Sunday 6th August 2017 so they can be forwarded to the Judges the following week.
Judges: "To be confirmed"
The Judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.